GARLIC & HERB CHICKEN SKEWERS WITH YOGHURT SAUCE
This recipe is for a DELICIOUS garlic and herb chicken skewers with a tangy yoghurt sauce. These babies are so filling and they are super healthy!
Please note that in this recipe we used 15 deboned chicken breasts to make 5 skewers. You can use the same quantities of the ingredients with more or less the same amounts of chicken. It won’t make a big difference, so you can adapt for the amount of people that you are cooking for.
YOU WILL NEED:
FOR THE CHICKEN SKEWERS
- Deboned Chicken Thighs (we used 15). You can also use chicken breast, but we prefer the thighs as this meat is much more tender and does not dry out as easily.
- Herbs of your choice. We used basil, rosemary, thyme and origanum. We just got some from the garden, but you can buy them at any store or use dried herbs.
- 1/4 Lemon
- 2 Cloves of garlic
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Olive Oil
- A couple of wooden skewers
FOR THE YOGHURT SAUCE
- Around 6 tablespoons of plain yoghurt
- Two pinches of salt
- Squeeze of lemon
- Very small clove of garlic.or even 1/2 a clove
- Mint(fresh if you can)
- OPTIONAL: Tabasco. If you like a bit of a bite. Just adapt to your personal preference.
WHAT TO DO:
FOR THE CHICKEN SKEWERS
- Preheat your oven to 200′ Celsius. Make sure that your oven has reached the temperature before putting the chicken in. Tip: You will see that the red light by the oven dials is on while it is warming up to the right temperature. As soon as that light is off, your oven is at the right temperature.
- NB: soak your wooden skewers in water until you are ready to thread the chicken! This ensures that those sticks don’t go up in flames inside the oven…
- Chop all the herbs together with the garlic until it is relatively fine.
- Put the chicken thighs into a bowl, then add the herb & garlic mix, salt and pepper.
- Mix this together with some olive oil and lemon juice.
- Now, to thread your chicken onto the skewers – It works to loop one thigh about three times to ensure that it’s nice and secure.
- Put your skewers in the oven for 25 minutes. For best results, turn the skewers over after 15 minutes. If you keen on a bit of char- put the oven on its ‘grill’ setting for the last 5 or so minutes.
Now for the sauce. You can easily make the whole sauce while the chicken is in the oven.
FOR THE YOGHURT SAUCE.
- Chop the mint leaves. A trick is to put them all on top of each other and cut them with a scissor.
- Then, well, just add everything together. As easy as that!
Just use your own discretion with the seasoning.
We personally love lemon in food, so squeezed a 1/8 in there. and added a generous amount of Tabasco! But, you can adapt as you want to!
So, there ya go!
Cheers and enjoy!
Burnt Team xxx